In 2001 Alison embarked on a learning journey into aromatherapy and natural health, which followed an already established passion in all things wellbeing. Today you can experience the wonderfully relaxing benefits of aromatherapy at the FlourishTherapy Room and through her specially designed product range.
A Potted History
Aromatic oils have been used for thousands of years to soothe, stimulate and heal the mind and body. There’s evidence that Egyptians used essential oils for treatments such as embalming and even Hippocrates claimed an aromatic bath was the key to good health. Soldiers in the Second World War were treated with essential oils and around the 1950’s it turned up in beauty treatments and massage. Over the years aromatherapy has become increasingly popular and continues to be used for a whole range of treatments including massage, as an aid for mental wellbeing, beauty, physical relaxation or healing, and medical herbalism.
Does it work?
People who use aromatherapy in healing practices do so with great passion and success. There is a growing base of clinical evidence to support claims of healing conditions like depression and anxiety, alongside a range of physical conditions. Lavender and tea tree oil are known as an effective natural antibiotic, tee tree is said to more effective than some of the orthodox antibiotics against certain strains of bacteria. Many hospitals use aromatherapy for its therapeutic properties, and combined with massage this promotes a positive impact on patients health and wellbeing.
Which oil will be used?
At the Flourish Therapy Room either a pre blended massage oil or selected oils for tailored blending will be used, dependant on you and your (e.g. to de-stress, relax, energise or promote balance). Any conditions or sensitivities are also taken when choosing an oil. The pure essential oils will be will be blended with a beautiful carrier oil that’s suitable for all skin types. All products used are from Neal’s Yard Remedies.
The oils were massaged into my neck, back and shoulders before starting the reiki session, it was so gentle and relaxing
Here’s some of the oils I use in my aromatherapy treatments and product range:
- Bergamot helps to promote a calm mind, is balancing for the skin and nourishing for your hair
- Geranium balances emotions and the skin
- Jasmine gives a boos to self-confidence and nourishes the skin
- Lavender is soothing for mind and skin conditions
- Neroli lifts your spirits and nourishes skin
- Frankincense is great to treat maturer skin and also to ease the mind into a meditative state
- Grapefruit is fabulous for lifting your spirits
- Clary sage soothes emotions, anxiety, and creates a sense of calm
- Mandarin is helpful for mild depression, nervous tension and sleep issues
- Petitgrain is another favourite for soothing the nervous system, anxiety and stress.
Supporting you to be your best and happiest self
Visit the aromatherapy treatments
View all treatments – The wellbeing centre
Shop for beautiful organic products, from Neal’s Yard Remedies
Join the Flourish Club facebook page @360flourish
Follow Alison’s blog